Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"The X-Files: Ground Zero" Review

  • Title:  "The X-Files:  Ground Zero"
  • Author:  Kevin J. Anderson
  • Finished:  February 1, 2010
  • Synopsis:  Here is a link to a good synopsis provided by the paperback publisher, Harper Collins.
  • Impression of the book:  This book is what you would expect from a classic X-File. The "Bright Anvil" project (a nuclear weapon without signature radiation) is being pursued by nuclear scientists at a mythical sister laboratory to Sandia National Laboratories (my employer) and Los Alamos National Laboratory.  The death of the lead scientist on the project brings Mulder and Scully across the country to investigate.  I have stayed or been to several locations described in the book (e.g., White Sands Missile Range, the Trinity site, and Pleasanton, CA), so the book was fun from that prospective.  As a fan of the X-Files, I enjoyed the book and think that it would have made an excellent episode for the show.  An X-File fan that doesn't mind stories off the "arch" will really enjoy this quick read.
  • Read Again Scale: 4
    • I probably wouldn't read this book again, but I would have definitely watched it several times had it been made into an episode.
  • Read Another Book by the Same Author: 10
    • I have read several books (more than 10) by Kevin J. Anderson.  I can think of only one example of not feeling rewarded for reading his book.
I was a "set the VCR" follower of The X-Files until about season 7 or 8 when Scully typed this message, "I yearn for you, Mulder."  That pretty much ended my avid fan status for the show.  This book avoided the messy stuff that ruined my interest in the show and was fun to read.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...