Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Dark Hollow" Review

  • Title:  "Dark Hollow"
  • Author:  John Connolly
  • Finished:  February 27, 2009 
  • Synopsis:  The John Connolly website has an excellent synopsis of the book
  • Impression of the book:  The novel one is the second in a series of detective stories, and I felt like I missed something by not starting with first novel in the series ("Every Dead Thing").  Charlie Parker (main character) comes with a lot of baggage that is only partially explained during the narrative.  Of course, there was a whole novel that comes before this one that probably details the baggage extremely well.  Even with the confusion about Parker's problems (definitely my fault), the plot engages you so that you quickly become interested in trying to figure out how Parker is going to bring in a killer and not get killed at the same time.  I liked this book a great deal.
  • Read Again Scale:  6 
    • I might read this one again after I read "Every Dead Thing" (and possibly the other novels in the Charlie Parker detective series).
  • Read Another Book by the Same Author:  10
    • Now that this review is written, I remember how much I liked Connolly's writing style. I will look for his works in the Fayetteville Public Library (FPL).
I picked this book up walking through the airport because I had left my original reading on the bench at home (this happens more often than you might guess). I had seen Connolly's name on several books over the years, so I gave it a try. This is the type of reading that is excellent for travel (airplane and hotel reading).  I think I will bump Connolly to the top of the list of books to find the next time I am in the FPL.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...