Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"Sweet Fancy Moses" - Day 2

  • George and Jerry, "Sweet Fancy Moses!"
    • I am sure many of you would have said this had you seen me "dancing" to Insanity this morning.
Day 2 of Insanity was called the "Plyometric Cardio Circuit." They should call it "You Feel Like Dying, But You'll Probably Make It." I had to stop twice during the 11 minute warm-up to catch my breath. I have this cool new heart rate watch that told me I was doing about 155 bpm or 86% max heart rate during the warm-up. I am not sure if that really is a warm-up unless the maximum heart rate knob actually goes to 110% (OOOOOO, maybe that's what coaches have been talking about for all these years). The stretching lasted about 5 minutes, so my heart rate went down to about 70% max.

Then, the real workout started. I did something called Suicide Drills, Mountain Climbing, Alpine Skier, and something else that oxygen deprivation prevents me from remembering for about 2-3 minutes. Then, I took a 30 second break. My heart rate at the break was 165 bpm which is pretty impressive because when I got out of bed this morning, I sat at 62 bpm. The madness continued through another 2 circuits of those drills before we did 2 or 3 circuits each of "football drills" and "basketball drills."

A couple of things that I noticed. The sweat on the video is real. The people on the video that look like they are about to collapse are really about to collapse. I played junior high and high school basketball for David Stahler. The closest comparison that I can find to this type of workout is to take one of his off-season days in the middle of the week, multiple it by two and then do it in half the time. He drove the team to the designated puke trashcan a few times over the years.

I do know two things. (1) I am going to hurt pretty bad in places that I have forgotten when the delayed onset muscle soreness hits. (2) My pedometer supplied by Sandia to track my steps doesn't know jack about active minutes if it thinks I only was active for 9 minutes this morning. I was dying (or hoping to die) for 41 minutes. I backed off just enough not to use my barf bucket.

Day 3 of Insanity is  "Cardio Power & Resistance." [sarcasm]I am sure that is going to be easier.[/sarcasm]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...