Monday, March 1, 2010

"Dune" by Frank Herbert

  • Title:  "Dune"
  • Author:  Frank Herbert
  • Finished:  January 25, 2009
  • Synopsis:  There is a lot of stuff in this science fiction classic.  The Wikipedia entry that discusses "Dune" does a pretty good job on the synopsis.
  • Impression of the book:  In about 1984, Mom bought me a torn-up paperback at a yard sale (I was 11).  When I say torn-up, I am mean the cover was ripped off and the 1st page or 2 had sections missing.  That book turned out to be one of my all-time favorite novels: "Dune".  Dune is widely recognized as classic science fiction along with books like "Brave New World," "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," "Frankenstein," and "The Martian Chronicles." I was able to immerse myself into a human (mostly) universe many thousands of years into the future spread across many galaxies. That escape was exactly what I needed at that time and is probably why I return to it every so often. The story had aspects that I didn't understand when I first read it (e.g., addiction, political intrigue and corruption, and religious fanaticism), but the story was compelling enough for my limited experience to grasp and enjoy.  Each time I return to this novel, I find something new. 
  • Read Again Scale:  10
    • I have re-read this book about every 5 years since the age of 11.
  • Read Another Book by the Same Author:  10
    • Frank Herbert is probably my favorite sci-fi author.
The original "Dune" chronicles stand out as the one science fiction series that always holds my attention.  There is a lot depth in this book that doesn't become clear until you have read some of the later additions to the series. The movies and mini-series made from this book and series have never really been able to bring the scope of the ideas in the book to the screen. If you like science fiction and haven't read this book, you are missing some of the best writing (and story) in the genre. However, if you don't enjoy sci-fi, take a pass on this book and series.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...