For those of who have discussed this with me, you know that I have discounted MAN-CAUSED global warming for a long time. In fact, based on things like the Surface Station Project, I wonder if we have any way of providing a long term climate record sufficient enough to say anything about climate trends. If you don't know, Anthony Watts (whose blog is a daily read for me) started a project to physically survey each of the climate stations in the United States Historical Climatological Network. He has completed 854 of the 1221 stations. He has found the following using the NOAA criteria for assessing the error in the data:
- 11% of the sites have errors less than 1 degree C
- 20% of the sites have errors between 1 and 2 degrees C
- 58% of the sites have errors between 2 and 5 degrees C
- 11% of the sites haves errors greater than 5 degrees C
- Do I think that the earth warmed in the 20th century? Yes.
- Do I think that the warming was the result of man's emission of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases? No.
- Will the earth be cooler or warmer 50 years from now? Yes.
- If it's brutally hot in the summer where you live, move or live in a house with AC.
- If it's brutally cold in the winter, move or live in a house with a good heating system.